Friday, July 10, 2009

In Mother Russia, list makes you!

So I feel like the first post on a blog can be the hardest and potentially most awkward one. It's like RG, McGraw, and I are on a first date with all you prospective readers, trying to convince you that yes, you will indeed have a good time on a second outing. That's why I'm glad RG took the lead, because now I can ride his coattails and follow in the theme of "my pantheon" (or at least a top-10 type list) instead of having to come up with my own idea. Thanks man.

My most memorable film class was a lot different from RG's. My professor (an Oberlin College lifer) looked kinda like the product of a torrid affair between George Lucas and Kenny Rogers, and was famous for his scholarly take on the philosophy of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". I'm pretty sure he was working on a book. I haven't read it. His course was dedicated to American cinema, and as distracting as the man's craziness was, I really enjoyed the class because it gave me the chance to see all the old movies I had never gotten around to: "Bonnie and Clyde," "Gone with the Wind" (still haven't made it all the way through that one), "Rebecca," and "Chinatown" among others. The latter two have since become personal favorites.

So without further ado, here are my two lists (cuz I really am that much of an idea mooch). What follows are my top 10 movies at the moment in no particular order, and the five actors I will watch in pretty much anything they do. Not all of these movies/actors are perfect, but they all entertain me every time I watch them.

Movies
1. The Godfather
2. The Silence of the Lambs
3. Rear Window
4. The Big Lewbowski
5. The Dark Knight
6. The Usual Suspects
7. The Departed
8. Caddyshack
9. Chinatown
10. Reservoir Dogs

Actors
1. Johnny Depp
2. Christian Bale
3. Jack Nicholson
4. Al Pacino
5. Samuel L. Jackson, because he's a badass

Peace y'all.

No comments: