Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mood Music

After reading my colleagues' introductions, I tried formulating a list of my own favorite films and directors. I created the list at eleven at night before I went to sleep. The next morning I woke up and wanted to dramatically change the list (How did I forget The Godfather?!?). Why did I have two different sets of favorite movies? I think it's because our film tastes are beholden to our present emotional state of mind.

Movies are like music in this way. I am a fan of Sufjan Stevens, but if I ever came to a party with him on the playlist, I would quickly make my way to the exit. I enjoy the raw emotion of early-90s grudge music, but it's not what I want to listen to at the end of a long day. Everyone at one point or another has heard someone say, "You have to be in the right mood to see this movie." Sure, it's a cliche but contains a kernel of truth. I don't always have the mental strength to process Charlie Kauffman; sometimes I just want to turn my brain off and watch Volcano on Starz for the eleventh time (ok bad example but you know what I mean).

So instead of making a list of my favorites, I have complied a list of the ten movies that have most affected my film tastes over the years. Use this amalgamation of titles to piece together the film critic you see before you.

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. All The President's Men
3. The Godfather
4. Vertigo
5. Down By Law
6. A Clockwork Orange
7. Pulp Fiction
8. Waiting for Guffman
9. Fargo
10. Psycho

Now it's time for some reviews.

No comments: