Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar Reactions

I just want to applaud my colleagues for a job well done last night on the Oscar live blog. Well played gentlemen. Since I wasn't around last night to participate (since I've obviously got more of a life than those other two nerds), I thought I'd take this chance to provide some of my reactions to last night's festivities.

- Can we just do away with the hosts entirely? I mean seriously. The only contribution Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin made last night was that unbelievably terrible and drawn-out "Hey, isn't that [insert Oscar nominee/Twilight star]?" bit. I don't have an alternative to the host format, but anything would be better than what we all had to witness.

- Several of us at the party I attended last night remarked that Molly Ringwald's unnaturally straight hair made it look like she was wearing a party wig. It may as well have been neon blue.

- That whole dance routine weirded me out. The dancers were great, but it seemed as if they had choreographed the whole thing with literally no clue what the music was going to be. None of the moves lined up at all. Interpretive dance that interprets the wrong music? A little too PoMo for me.

- Stupid "Hurt Locker" winning the sound categories. 34 POINTS GONE.

- I'm generally pleased with the results of the four acting categories. Mo'Nique and Christoph Waltz portrayed the two most disturbing villains in film this past year. I'm not as upset about Sandra Bullock's win as McGraw seems to be - I thought she was very good in "The Blind Side", though I haven't finished watching "An Education" yet and can't make an educated (ha) statement about Carey Mulligan's performance. And Jeff Bridges absolutely deserved that Oscar, it definitely was the best moment of the night.

- Best Picture: As I said last night, I'm just glad it wasn't "Avatar". I really thought the Academy voters were going to listen to the box office, which typically is about the worst decision you can make. So I'm glad they didn't, but I still don't think "The Hurt Locker" was anywhere near the best movie of the year. I was rooting hard for "Inglourious Basterds" the whole way.

And so, Oscars coverage adieu, until next year's inevitably disappointing awards ceremony!

No comments: